Sunday 6 September 2015

In the beginning....

I'm not sure where all of this started, but I am hoping to create a record of the journey - just in case I loose my memory, my ability to speak, understand, etc. At this point all that I know for sure is that I have a tumour. A fairly large one, on the left frontal lobe of my brain.

It all started, I think, last year (fall 2014) with the headaches. Not a new phenomenon by any means, I have been suffering from headaches since childhood. I became frustrated though with the limitations I felt they were placing on my life. I have never had regular medical care, but all the flyers in my mailbox for Foothills Medical Clinic eventually determined that I make the call, and make an appointment.

The doctor at the clinic ran blood-work, advised that I was anaemic, and sent me on my way. Eventually I returned again, spring 2015, with more severe headaches and dizziness. I thought it was odd that she told me that I no longer needed to take iron, but accepted that, stopped with the iron, and took the prescription for chiro treatments and massage. Neither helped.

June 11 (I remember the exact date because it is one of my sister's birthdays!) I went to work in Morley then to grab lunch at the local subway. At the subway I could not order my meal. I couldn't spit out or use language that should have been simple. Too embarrassed to do anything else, I sat for a few minutes until my speech returned, then fled the restaurant. By this point I had also been experiencing tunnel vision once or twice per week.

July 15 - documented on payroll, I became extremely dizzy while standing there talking to another staff member and was taken to the ER in Cochrane by co-workers. The doctor there ran many tests, including blood, urine, EKG, etc. He took my blood pressure while sitting and standing. The difference was a drop of about 15 pts. I wasn't sure what that indicated, but neither was he. They let me go after a few hours, once I had a confirmed apt with my family doc the next week.

She advised that I was not anaemic (apparently I am still, according to the Foothills doctors!) , but sent me for an MRI anyway. Luckily that took less than 6 weeks to schedule.

On Thursday August 27, 2015 at 7:15 am I went into the Foothills hospital for the MRI. And they did not let me leave until the Surgeon, Jon Kelly confirmed an appointment for me this coming Tuesday Sept 8th. That was late Monday the 31st of August.

Five days. Three nights of not being allowed to eat or drink anything from midnight until they decided that there was no way I would have an operation that day. I know that Trauma patients come first and I agree, they do take OR precedence. I just wish that the team on neurosurgery had been keeping me more well-informed. That's all. Simple communication, options, and discussion.

I am always and forever grateful for my sisters (Jessica for taking Rori back with her to Ontario for the semester, Mary for babysitting at her home to allow that to happen, and for Lisa who is here now with me...)
Thank-you to all the friends and acquaintances who have also come through - Stephanie for picking up my child from her sleepaway camp Friday morning, Jennifer for taking her overnight and collecting Jessica from the airport as I was unable to escape the hospital, Alanna and Danielle for coming to visit and driving my sister and child around (and use of discounts!), and Deirdre for being such a huge support at the hospital.
Thank-you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment